Sunday, April 22, 2007

The Road of Life

The other day, I read "New Directions" by Maya Angelou with my 9th grade class. After we read, I had them write a short story or poem of their own about their own road of life, comparing their lives to roads and the things we encounter along the way. This is what I wrote:

Accelerate onto the LIE.
Dad's always telling me to watch out for the other person.
Look left, look right, but know the road ahead.
When I was ready to get off the LIE and onto a new path, I had a choice--Go north or south.
The northern route was to Albany, New York.
Turns out there were speed bumps along the way, made me slow down, re-evaluate where I wanted to go.
The next choice I had to make had me walking backwards, making a U-turn.
Turns out I should've gone south to Delaware.
Now I'm here at Howard High School, one month left of school -- Where to go next?
Up north, signal right, back over the Verrazano Bridge, merge back onto the LIE, go Home.

And on that note, it turns out I will be going home...back to Sachem, the school district where I've always called home, to teach English. I'm psyched by the idea of this.

No comments: