Thursday, April 26, 2007

The Soundtrack of My Life

In one of my ninth-grade classes, in order to promote individual expression and tolerance of all, I am assigning the students to create a soundtrack to their lives, with the eventual goal of each person picking one song that best describes them to be put onto a soundtrack of the classroom. Since I, too, am a member of the classroom, I wrote a soundtrack to my own life, which follows:

The first song on my soundtrack is an instrumental song called “Number Three” by Ben Harper. I’ve been listening to Ben Harper since high school, specifically 10th grade. I remember the first time I bought one of his CDs, I was at the mall with Chris Cosgrove. Little did either of us know that later that summer, we would be seeing Ben open up for the Dave Matthews Band at Giants Stadium. The song puts me at ease, and leaves me in a tranquil state.

“Out of My Head” by Fastball is a classic car-ride sing-along song. It reminds me of the time sophomore year when I went to the Haunted House out east with the guys--Matt, Odie, Kyle, Cos, Jay Breinlinger--and we sang this song, driving out to the sticks in the dead of night. It’s an uplifting song that I can’t help but sing each and every time I hear it on the radio. Fastball also reminds me of the time in 1999 when I saw them in concert, opening for the Goo Goo Dolls and Sugar Ray. My Dad kept calling them “Fast pitch.”

The third song is “District Sleeps Alone Tonight” by Postal Service. This song reminds me of the end of high school or the beginning of college, the timeline is kind of a blur. The spunky electronics in the song appeal to the blur of when this song came into my life. Starting out slow, “District Sleeps…” is a bop-your-head song that I love to sing along to in a high falsetto, making each and every word my own, staging it as a screenplay rather than just a song, words that are created solely to be acted out. As the tempo increases, so does my love for and obsession with this song. The guitar riffs and synth-drum beats make me want to bop my head and run screaming about a “gaudy apartment complex.” The song evens out, leaving the listener content, after their tumultuous journey through Postal Service’s “District.”

The next song is “Honey and the Moon” by Joseph Arthur. This song reminds me immediately of my mood the entire time I lived in Albany, New York freshman year. I was longing for something, someone to lift me up. This song helped, even if just a little. I remember sending this song to my friend Katie Maro, who was going to college at New York University, after I had fallen in love with it. I remember calling her one night as I was ambling throughout the streets of Albany, searching for something I, nor anyone else around me, knew, and she told me how much she too loved the song. As Joseph Arthur says in “Honey and the Moon,” that comment “lit up my night.” This song helped me keep going in a time when that is exactly the type of inspiration I needed.

A band I discovered freshman year was the Icelandic band Sigur Ros, who have since become one of my favorites. Their music evokes emotion, and the song “Ny Batteri” brings forth a wave of sadness and the outpouring of emotion from the first note. Each time I listen to this song, I am taken on a ride in the ocean, where waves crest and then crash onto the shore, in a constant rhythmic motion. Though the language in which the singer sings is an ethereal, melodic blend of sounds, I feel like I can sing right along with him, in his own (and my own) made up melodic language. I start off in peace in this song, with the crescendos building and building until all the waves crash into the sand, and I am left staring up at the clear, blue sky, gasping for air and solace.

Jackson Browne’s “Fountain of Sorrow” is another song that reminds me of freshman year, when I was looking to music to help bring me up from that fallen place I had found myself. The image of the fountain is symbolic of my stay at Albany, a campus which is centered around an immense fountain, and the school year culminates with a celebration known as Fountain Day, during which undergraduates get together and celebrate coming out of the long, dark, cold winter they had just spent holed in their dorms, and welcome spring and the prospect of summer to counteract the wintry doldrums and sorrow, the topic about which Mr. Jackson Browne sings for us in this beautiful song.

Van Morrison’s “Into the Mystic” reminds me of a summer day, just back from the beach, sitting on the deck of the beach house, enjoying the setting sun and the beautiful feeling of relaxation.

One of my favorite songs of all-time, “All Along the Watchtower” by Bob Dylan, is an acoustic ode to making sense out of confusion and wonder. I first heard this song performed by Dave Matthews Band, and went searching for the original. I’ve encountered versions by Jimi Hendrix, as well as others, but none completely grab me the way that Dylan’s original does, with his harrowing harmonica booming over his careful acoustic guitar.

Finally, a DMB song - “You Never Know.” This song gives me a rush each time I listen to it. It was during this song at a concert at Madison Square Garden that I ran down from my nosebleed section with my friends Krista and Marcia to a section right next to the stage, the horns, guitars, bass, and drums booming in my ears and my favorite band just feet in front of me. The feeling was surreal, and that is the feeling I get each time I hear this song.

“Eastern Glow” by The Album Leaf is a beautiful song that reminds me of one of the best days of my life--a day at the beach. The morning was cloudy, overcast, and drizzly. My family and I decided to try and make the best of it and go mini-golfing and grab some lunch. When we got out of the sub shop, the clouds in the sky had parted and the sun was shining hot. We quickly headed back to the beach house, where we grabbed all our stuff and trekked together up to the beach, meeting the rest of the family at the beach head. I remember sitting on the beach that day, staring at the beautifully blue ocean and equally beautiful blue sky, listening to “Eastern Glow,” and thinking, “Damn, I am at complete peace right now.”

Cat Stevens’ “The Wind” has to be one of the shortest songs ever, but it speaks volumes. The lyrics, about questioning our souls and where we will end up in life, are so empowering, each time the song comes on, well, like Stevens says, “I let the music take me where my heart wants to go.”

Rufus Wainwright’s song “The Consort” reminds me of sophomore year and a love lost. I loved the idea of one person being someone else’s consort, someone else’s guide, an occupation I hope to once again own.

Ah, “Wonderwall” by Oasis: This could easily be the greatest song of my time. Nothing more can be said about it that isn’t already said in the song itself: “All the roads we have to walk are winding, And all the lights that lead us there are blinding…” The message of this song reminds me of a quote, from the philosopher Cicero, “Where there’s life, there’s hope.”

During Third Eye Blind’s “Motorcycle Drive By,” I am immediately stricken with pangs of summertime heat in New York City. The lines “I’ve never been so alone, and I’ve never been so alive,” are mirror images of myself at certain times in my life. And the singer says it so perfectly when he says, “I hope you take a piece of me with you.” I do.

Coldplay’s “Talk” is a more recent song, and I am completely in love with the guitar riff. The message in the song just grabs me right away and swallows me whole. The singer, scared about the future, is pleading to his brother to just talk with him, help him get through the hard times. Everyone needs someone during the hard times.

Soulive’s cover of “Crosstown Traffic” is a funky jazz tune that I can’t help but shout out or jam out to whenever it comes on. I love running to this song because it makes me run faster to the beat and feel like my feet have wings and are floating on air, as opposed to pounding the rough pavement.

I chose Badly Drawn Boy’s “Walking Out of Stride” because I love the concept of “Walking out of stride.” Each person should walk out of stride, be their own person. Lately, one of my 9th grade English classes has been pointing out my unique walk, a comment that brings me back to high school. I may have a distinct walk, but it is unique to me, and so what if it’s out of stride!

Lastly, I chose the motivational song “Everybody’s Free (To Wear Sunscreen)” because I am graduating in May and love the message this song conveys. The author correctly describes life as a child, teenager, young professional, adult, and old-aged granny, humanity is a whole. I will take the advice dispensed within this song with me for the rest of my life, and he warns, “Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia. Dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it's worth.”

2 comments:

Your host said...

So I'm reading all these XEE emails, and I notice this link in your signature. I instantly felt like slightly less of an exhibitionist because I'm not the only one with a blog that's not LiveJournal. Yours is significantly more eloquent and thoughtful than mine, though (at least this entry is).

By the way: "Wonderwall" really is the greatest song ever, and the riff from "Talk" is my ring tone. Good choices.

Anonymous said...

oh, man!!! Motorcycle Driveby is my absolute favorite 3eb song. I find myself randomly writing out lyrics as I daydream. The lines have become a part of my subconscious.

"Careening through the universe, your axis on a tilt; you're guiltless and free; I hope you take a piece of me with you."


Check out 3eb's "Blinded," too, if you haven't already. Excellent, excellent song.