Sunday, May 6, 2007

My Senior Will

I taught my 12th grade class for the last time last Monday. I wanted to go out on a good note and do an activity that kind of summed up everything I've taught them this semester. So, I decided on a summative activity, where I had the students reflect on the themes of the works we've read and then write their own senior will. This turned out to be an activity they loved, one that showed their power as writers and as thinkers (they're a deep group!)

I wrote a senior will of my own, since, as I shared with them, I am a graduating senior as well! Here it is:

The first theme I’d like to write about is overcoming racial divides. One of the most deplorable characteristics of our country is its disposition towards racism and prejudicial biases. We all need to get together as one, as Americans, whether black, white, yellow or brown. We saw this theme of overcoming racial divides in The House of Sand and Fog with the Behranis trying to assimilate into the culture of the US. In my own life, I try to bridge the gaps between the races in this country by accepting everyone I meet and influencing everyone I meet to be as acceptant as I am.

The second theme I chose to write about is excessive pride. Pride is the #1 fault of this country, and we are all to blame. I mean, who doesn’t want to be proud of accomplishments and skills? I certainly am. But, in spite of this, I try not to let pride get the best of me. One of my favorite quotes is from the ancient philosopher, Boethius, who advises, “If then you are master of yourself, you will be in possession of that which you will never wish to lose, and which Fortune will never be able to take from you.” I try to be myself, and not succumb to fortune or excessive pride. We saw pride in Paradise Lost and Gulliver’s Travels, but it is a theme found in many texts we read and movies we see, often acting as the fatal flaw of the main character.

I, Mr. Weston, being of sound and disposing mind and memory, on Monday, April 30, 2007, do make and publish this, my senior Will:

I give, devise, and bequeath to my parents, Mr. & Mrs. Weston, the following: unconditional love and support, equal custody of all my accomplishments and successes, and unending gratitude for their support these four years, plus two epic tailgates and countless needed visits to Delaware.

I give, devise, and bequeath to my roommates Matt Hayes, Matt Nilssen, and Dan Wanger, the following: dance parties in the fourth floor of Harter, throwing pizza at windows, bouncing the ball off The Dude in the Towers, breaking bread at the “fashion don’ts” parties, 351 Apt. #1 & 2 and its yellow couch covers, bread in the oven, garbage couch, and overall good times.

I give, devise, and bequeath to my sister, Amanda Weston, the following: my ridiculous sense of humor and ridiculously good taste in music, movies, and television (including the following: Dave Matthews Band, 24, Arrested Development, etc.); our recent tradition of Dave Matthews Band concerts, including last summer when we were 7 rows from the stage; and the tolerance and respectfulness that is making her into a really good, respectable person.

I give, devise, and bequeath to my English Education (XEE) friends at the University of Delaware, the following: hardcore support, 3:30 at Grotto’s every Friday, shoulders to lean on, ears for listening to any and all complaints, and constant laughs with Alvie in 111 Memorial.

I give, devise, and bequeath to Dr. Theilacker, the following: the immense support and mentoring I needed to get me where I am, the encouragement to help start me on my career, and the knowledge of everything teaching and everything English.

I give, devise, and bequeath to Pat Armetta, my boss and good friend, the following: instilling in me the desire to work hard and be successful, the opportunity to manage a business and learn the importance of business ethics, and the overall desire to help and support others.

I give, devise, and bequeath to Jeremy Whiteman and Meg Rector, the following: endless good times working at Trabant Delivery, you guys made that hassle of a job into a fun time to get together with friends; concerts, seeing Kristen and the Noise (an excellent performer) and Martin Sexton; and the unending support of two good friends.

I give, devise, and bequeath to Isaac Ramaswamy, the following: the strong belief in the success of others; the desire to help others, even with nothing to gain for yourself other than the joy of seeing someone else succeed.

I give, devise, and bequeath to everyone else I have met at the University of Delaware; my friends back home in Long Island; my students at Howard High School; and my cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents across the board, the following: my unending love and eternal gratitude for always being there for me and supporting me in all my endeavors. This, and all of the future, is for all of you.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not logically

Anonymous said...

And it can be paraphrased?


I suggest you to visit a site on which there is a lot of information on a theme interesting you. Hot Health

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

I want not agree on it. I assume precise post. Especially the title attracted me to review the whole story.

Anonymous said...

Good brief and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you on your information.

Anonymous said...

Genial brief and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you as your information.