Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Reflect on the Lake

The room is inviting, but intimidating. I sit, my suit neatly pressed and my resume polished and printed, my fingers interlocked, sweat building on the insides of my palms, waiting for someone, anyone, to call my name.
The secretary, Sandy, the most standard clerical name I can think of, keeps stealing me glances and smiles. She is the most kind face I have seen so far, waiting for my interview.
As I'm waiting, engaging in quiet, polite conversation with Sandy about the greatness of the University of Delaware, I keep glancing up at the clock, watching the minute-hand pass by laboriously on the clock, as if, in its place, there were Lilliputians trying to move the Great Man-Mountain from one place to the next.
Finally, I hear "Jonathan" and immediately rise, stick out my hand, and greet my caller, as if this response was designed by Pavlov himself.
The rest is a daze, a battlefield of questions being shot at me, with the immediate despair brought about upon encountering their much bigger, much better army.
I am left with no solutions, no closure, grasping for any ounce of solace a kind patron might throw my way.

Looking for answers all afternoon, I finally decide it's time to get out of the house, get a fix (coffee) and drive to the one place I can think of that makes sense at the moment.
Walter C. Dunham came to Lake Ronkonkoma in 1955 with the purpose of educating the community that was growing out of this lake-resort town.
He would then become the first superintendent of Sachem School District, one that would grow to become one of the biggest in New York State.
This lake is a reflection of the sun which looks down upon it, but also of anyone who looks upon it for its sheer beauty. It is a home to millions--both those creatures and animals that live in it and the people who inhabit the area around it. I want to be able to walk up to the lake, dip my feet in the water, look down at my reflection, and see me smiling back at me.

Walter C. Dunham came to this area for a reason. He saw something special, something different in the people who trod upon its soil. And he wanted to give the best thing he could offer to them--a good public education. As I sit here, looking at my reflection bounce of the lake's surface, right along with the sun's rays, I want to do the same.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

kudos to you. this is an excellent entry.