Monday, October 4, 2010

Happiness is Unreasonable

“Beneath it all remember the innate perfection of your life unfolding. That is the secret of unreasonable happiness.” – Dan Millman, Way of the Peaceful Warrior

There are only a handful of events in this life for which I feel regret. Whenever one of these events takes place, obviously without my foreknowledge if its effects on my conscience, it invites some reflection days later, usually in the form of mind demons attacking before bed. But these mind demons are well deserved, usually, to keep me on my feet and remind me of the pitfalls in life.

It is typical that a completely euphoric and perfect day is followed by one that causes headaches and invites grey hair and early onset male pattern baldness. But these fits and starts, these ups and downs, hills and valleys are all there to remind us of the undercurrent of life, the unending journey of love and happiness we are each trying to achieve.

A bad day at work is a necessary evil of life; there to improve future days, and ensure general well-being.

Tomorrow is open school night of my fourth year. I will walk in with my suit, feeling confident that the work that I do this year will, overall, bring success to other people's kids, even if I do occasionally have days that will cause my hair to grey or fall out because of these same kids. Such is teaching!

"You have to make your own way in the classroom. You have to find yourself. You have to develop your own style, your own techniques. You have to tell the truth or you’ll be found out.” - Frank McCourt, Teacher Man

No comments: